Irvine Domestic Partnership Attorney
Call (714) 706-3992 for Experienced Legal Assistance
Whether you are interested in filing for a domestic partnership or dissolving
one, our Irvine divorce attorneys at the
Center for Mediated Divorce are ready to help. We can thoroughly review your situation and determine
all of your available legal options in order to obtain the most favorable
outcome possible. With
over 20 years of experience, our legal team has an extensive understanding of California family law
to guide you through the intricacies of the legal system.
What is a Domestic Partnership?
In California, domestic partners are defined as two adults who have decided
to share one another’s lives in a committed and intimate relationship
of mutual caring. Domestic partners must file a Declaration of Domestic
Partnership with the Secretary of State.
Domestic partners share the same benefits as married couples. It is imperative
to understand that California is a community property state, which means
that all assets acquired during a domestic partnership or marriage are
considered community property. Furthermore, domestic partners are responsible
for each other’s debts.
If you wish to end the domestic partnership, you may seek a summary dissolution.
To qualify for a summary dissolution of your domestic partnership, you
must meet all of the requirements.
The following are the requirements to file a summary dissolution:
- Both parties want to terminate the domestic partnership
- Have not been registered as a domestic partnership for more than five years
on the date you file your Notice of Termination of Domestic Partnership
- Have no children together (born, soon-to-be born, or adopted) during domestic
- Do not own any part of land or building
- Do not rent any land or buildings (except for your current living situation,
as long as you do not have a one-year lease or purchase option
- Have less than $40,000 worth of property acquired during the domestic partnership
(not counting cars)
- Do not owe more than $6,000 for debts acquired since the date of your domestic
partnership (car loans do not count)
Interested in filing for a domestic partnership in Irvine or Orange County, CA?
Contact the Center for Mediated Divorce and obtain a
free phone consultation today.